Monday 24 February 2014

Week 8 Run 1 – The One Where Everything Hurt

Years ago, an ancient creator of wisdom by the name of John Michael Stipe wrote a piece of groundbreaking prose, which included the immortal line “Everybody hurts sometimes”. And even though the original source of this wise saying has been lost in the deep mists of 1992, the wisdom lives on, even 22 years later.

The upshot of that deep and profound saying resonating through the ages came back to me this morning as I started running. More than on any other day, things were hurting from the start and they didn’t really ease up too much as I went on. With strains in my right knee and left calf and a blister on my foot it was a promising start.

Today was the first 28-minute run, designed to push me towards 30 minutes next week and ultimately a 5km run (which still seems very unlikely in the allotted time, mind, but it’s something to aim for). In the back of my mind ever since I first started and looked at a route, there’s been a very nice one that I’ve wanted to take which is just under 3 miles. Obviously at the start that seemed far too far to be something I’d ever be able to complete, but I thought it would be good to scope it out today.

Turns out I’m glad I did, because it was not the ideal route for me.

Deep in the pre-iPoddian period of 1985, a predominant thinker of the age gave us the words “If I only could, I’d be running up that hill.” And although the singer may be no longer with us (note: I just checked Wikipedia and apparently Kate Bush is fine so that’s a relief) her words live on.

I have expressed before my general dislike of hills, and so I was very disappointed to discover just how hilly this route was. By normal standards, probably not too much but there were three separate uphill sections to traverse, the third of which was by far the worst, perhaps due to how I was dealing with it.

Often in the last minute of a run, Laura will encourage me to pick up the pace and try and finish on a strong note. Unfortunately I decided to take this tactic on the final hill, pushing myself to keep what little pace I had going. I might even have accelerated a bit as I went up the hill. It must have been less than a minute until I was at the top, but I’d managed to use pretty much all the energy and breath I could muster. Fortunately I was nearly done.

Oh, no, wait. I still had over ten minutes to go.

This tactical decision somewhat stunted my speed in the latter part of the run, meaning that despite the extra three minutes of running time I covered 2.6 miles, barely any more than last time. Looking at the route now, though, I reckon I was doing about a 9½ minute mile before the hill, and about a 13 minute mile afterwards, which is a deceleration from slow to essentially glacial. At the end it was essentially walking pace.

But I did manage to finish once again, which I count as a win. I was in a position where I would have to explain to Theodore Roosevelt that I was no longer a pony – in short, I was exhausted. My warm-down walk at the end was more of a hobble, since that was the best I could manage, and it took me another thirty-five minutes after I got back just to have a shower and get dressed.

The eminent historian and Nobel prize laureate Toni Basil once said “Hey Mickey, you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey.” This doesn’t really relate to my situation in any way, but the words are timeless and full of wisdom.

At the start of the podcast, Laura laughably told me that I must be getting quite comfortable with long runs after the number I’ve been on. That number, for statistics fans, is six after today. When I had my sixth driving lesson, I wasn’t overly comfortable with driving. After six days at university I didn’t feel particularly comfortable with undergraduate mathematics. When I was six days old, my grasp of Shakespeare was at best flimsy. In short, I’m not sure that six times is quite enough to be getting the hang of something yet.

Seven, though, is another story (seven driving lessons and I was Jensen Button, seven days at university and I was Leonhard Euler, seven days old and I was William Shakespeare which made it a lot easier to interpret my own babblings) so I’m sure by Wednesday I’ll be flying along like Superman if he was forced to jog rather slowly instead of actually flying.


John Hurt (no adaptation required today)

No comments:

Post a Comment