Wednesday 19 February 2014

Week 7 Run 2 – The One With The Wall

Today is a good day to talk about the wall.

I've never seen a formal definition of this phenomenon, but as I understand it, you hit the wall when you've been running for a while and you're fairly sure at this point you've used all the energy in your body and your skin starts to turn green as chlorophyll creeps in in a desperate attempt to photosynthesise to make up the energy deficit in your body. Either that or you actually physically hit a wall, which is not recommended.

Of the two, I actually did neither. The latter didn't seem like a good idea, and the former wasn't possible because I was wearing my reflective jacket and was therefore the biggest light source in the area, and you don't see many plants on the sun.

What did happen, though, was a lot of exhaustion about ten minutes into the 25 minute run. I suspect part of the issue was the realisation on Monday that the pace I was doing meant that I wasn't going to be finishing the 5km run in the 30 minutes, due to having the stamina of a sloth on a spa weekend and the speed of a First Great Western train under normal conditions - neither any good at all. So I decided to pick up the pace for the first few minutes, to start enthusiastically as I mean to go on. Unfortunately my body took that to mean that it would be mean if I went on, and subsequently decided to have an oxygen party to which I wasn't invited. This meant that the final 15 minutes were very miserable and very slow, like the anti-Usain Bolt.

It didn't help that I managed to get slightly lost again. At the start of this week's podcast Laura told me that maybe I should consider changing my route if I was finding it a bit boring. This was one situation where I have been way ahead of her - I don't think I've done the same route twice yet. This has however led to no small amount of poring over Google Maps the night before the run to try and plot out an alternate route, and also leads to situations like today where I ended up with a very convoluted path to take - and jogging along whilst trying to remember "Left to the end of the road, left again, right, second right, first right, left at the end of the road, right then left", it's very easy to accidentally put in another right and discover a whole new road. (A new fantastic point of view).

But I did manage to finish the full 25 minutes, and furthermore ended up going 2.5 miles today, slightly further than Monday or Friday. And all I had to do for that extra 7 yards a minute was use every available ounce of energy and finish feeling like I'd overdosed on air. Still, I broke the 4km barrier (possibly by running very hard into the wall just in front of it), and maybe 5km isn't so unattainable after all.

The leg pain that had somewhat disappeared by Monday has now come back, though. On the one hand, it makes running a bit of a pain in more than one way; on the other, it’s nice to have a fitness problem which can be resolved by spending more time lying in bed. Now there’s an Olympic sport I could get behind!


Breathe Ledger

No comments:

Post a Comment