Monday 17 February 2014

Week 7 Run 1 – The One Where I Went At A Blistering Pace

 Thus dawns a new week, a week hopefully of dryness and me not dying whilst running. So far I can claim a big positive on both fronts, as you may be able to tell since I am able to write this, suggesting that I am both alive and not so soggy that I cause the internal workings of my laptop to break.

All this week, the running plan is simple in theory – just 25 minutes straight running. And signs are good for the first run of the week, in that I was able to finish without too much suffering. The final five minutes, once again, did cause me to slow down quite a bit, but I was surprised at how OK I was feeling even after 15 minutes or so; the occasional small stitch but nothing that would slow me down unduly.

A small concern at the moment is the distance being travelled – both today and Friday, I managed to run 2.4 miles (or 3.8km if you’re more of a metric person) in 25 minutes, which doesn’t quite extend to 5km in the allocated 30 minutes, unless those final five minutes involve one of those boosts that you can get in Mario Kart that make you a lot faster than everybody else because you’re way back in last place and really need it. I’m not overly worried at the moment, though, I think this is supposed to be a time of building up stamina and getting through the time, and once that’s a bit more settled hopefully it’ll be easier to go faster.

We’re back to one podcast per week which means I get to experience Laura in my ears twice more saying exactly the same thing. This time, though, she really didn’t say too much at all – at one point I was starting to get quite worried about her. She’d checked in to tell me that I’d run for 5 minutes, and then there was a long period of conspicuous silence. I was starting to get worried about her – maybe she’d got lost? Maybe she’d actually been running and not come back? Turns out it was neither of these things, it was just a long wait between the 5 minute mark and the 12½ minute mark. And by wait I mean run.

When she came back, though, she made quite an entrance, telling me that I should build stamina by “getting as many kilometres under my belt as possible”. Now I took exception to this – I may have gone up a belt notch or two in the past year, but I certainly haven’t put a whole kilometre on!

The race opportunity of the day came at about the 15 minute mark, when I was overtaken by a relatively sedate cyclist, who couldn’t have been going more than a mile an hour or so faster than me. Part of my brain suggested that it might be a good idea to let him be my pace-setter. The rest of my brain overruled it, suggesting that that might lead to me also getting a pacemaker. So I let him cycle off into the sunrise and focused on putting one foot in front of the other (although the foot that I put in front of the other foot kept changing – if this wasn’t the case then this might explain the slow speed).

I managed to finish today, which I’m counting as a win. And, as an extra bonus now that I’m “officially a runner” is that I now have my first running blister! I shall wear it as an uncomfortable badge of honour. I reckon it’s probably because of the shoes that I run in, which I think are giving up the ghost. By that, I mean that they died a very long time ago, so long that even the ghost that used to haunt them has decided it’s not really worth it any more.

If any local businesses (or come to that, international businesses) are reading and want to buy me a new pair of running shoes, I would be happy to offer you some free advertising in return. After all, I have literally some readers now!


Bliz Turley (a combination of blister and Liz Hurley, expressed in such a way as to make neither of those sentiments clear and instead make her sound like an alien from Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy)

No comments:

Post a Comment