Sunday 19 January 2014

Week 3 Run 1 – The One That Was Probably Not A Good Idea

This morning, I awoke to a beautiful scene of iced-over cars and 0 degree weather. (I know if anybody’s reading in Canada I’ve probably just described summer, but this is cold for us.) I’d decided the night before that if in the morning it was cold and icy that I wouldn’t run for safety reasons (remember the scene in Bambi where he goes on the ice for the first time? That’s me on normal surfaces – imagine what happens when I go on the ice! I’ve been ice-skating once in Germany, and genuinely within the first thirty seconds I’d fallen over three times and hurt my back so that I couldn’t lie down without it hurting for the next four days. It sounds silly but I wasn’t expecting the ice to be as slippery as it was).

The flaw in this plan is that all the windows in our flat face backwards, away from the road, so it’s impossible to tell what the road and pavement surfaces were like. To see this would involve leaving the flat, and naturally this is the sort of thing generally best done dressed in normal clothes. (Protip: wearing clothes is generally more socially acceptable than not doing so). And since if it was nice I would be going jogging, I decided to don my running attire to go and see what Jack Frost had done.

(I don’t think I’ve described my running outfit – it definitely needs a bit of a renovate since it consists entirely of the only clothes I have here that aren’t completely inappropriate for running. The main issue is that the outer layer when it’s cold is a black pair of tracksuit trousers and a navy blue raincoat, meaning that I’m almost entirely black when I step out into the dark mornings. It’s like being the Dark Knight, except instead of travelling by Batmobile I’m travelling by a light jog, meaning that I can’t protect Gotham’s streets, but maybe just one street. As long as it’s a fairly short street.)

Having stepped outside, I saw that everything was glistening with a lovely glow that suggested going back to bed. The issue was that I had now stepped outside, and it felt a bit like giving up to go back at that point. So, knowing even then that it was almost definitely a bad idea to go, I decided to go.

I was very careful this time. I remembered a part of the route that wasn’t too icy the last time I went out in cold weather and followed this round for a smallish loop back to my house, and just repeated this. I took everything very slowly as well, meaning that distance-wise this was probably my shortest run yet, around 2 miles total distance travelled.

All in all, I managed to keep my feet almost the whole way round – there was just one Bambi moment when I inadvertently crossed the road and went over a puddle that gave me flashbacks of Germany (the ice rink incident, not like a flashback of when I was in ‘Nam). But I stayed more or less upright and vowed to avoid it in future. (Protip: if you find yourself slipping on ice whilst out for exercise, why not consider going home and having a bath instead? Much warmer and slightly less dangerous).

I haven’t even mentioned the running yet. This week is two iterations of 90 seconds running followed by 90 seconds walking, followed by 3 minutes of running and 3 minutes of walking. And I’m astonished to say that the first three minute running session was actually not too bad. I completed it without counting down the seconds, and actually thought that I might be able to do the second lot of three minutes without feeling too bad as well.

Well, what do I know? I went running in the ice, for goodness sake! The second 3 minutes was definitely more of an endurance test – I guess it means I wasn’t really thinking about the 90 second one, which was the big fear last week, so maybe Laura’s tricking me into being fit. I still don’t really trust her. She said some ridiculous things and played some ridiculous music this week, but I should probably get ready for university now instead of typing.

I did have the fun experience at the end of the run of walking down a sidestreet which had one of those vents spewing steam out, meaning that I got to finish by appearing out of a cloud of smoke (I like to think).

I’m the relay runner that Gotham deserves, but not the one that it needs right now.


I am Baton-man.

(Aka Bruce Sprain)

No comments:

Post a Comment