Friday 17 January 2014

Week 2 Run 3 - The One With The Betrayal

I made a big mistake today. I started to trust Laura.

She’d been so nice this week – telling me to breathe, telling me how to put my foot down on the ground (heel first, which makes sense; not the ball of your foot first, I understand why people would do that; or the side of your foot. What? Who would ever think that running on the side of your foot would be a good idea? People would think you were busting for the loo) and other such niceties. I thought we were getting along. I thought we might even be friends, and we could keep hanging out after the nine weeks are over – I could sit and eat some fruit, she could play me knock-off versions of famous bands and we could talk about breathing and how to blink (close your eyelids using your muscles, not a forklift truck).

But then she did this run to me! You turn your back on her for a second, and it turns out that she’s been taking stabbing classes.

It wasn’t as if it was a new podcast – it was exactly the same mix of running and walking as I’d done twice before this week with little to no difficulty. But by the time the third run came around this time, I was absolutely exhausted. I don’t think it helped that at the end of that run she told me that “You might be feeling tired.” You think?

And then the fifth run came around, and she attempted to reassure me with “You’re nearly done now!” Which was immediately followed by “Buuuuut… you’ve got another 90 second run now”.  Thanks, Laura. And before the sixth and final, the phrase “You’ve got just 90 seconds of running to go.” Just 90 seconds? That’s easy for you to say, Laura, you’re recording that in some cushy studio made of pineapples and oxygen. I’ve got to actually do it!

It probably doesn’t help that I always feel a bit awkward switching from walking to running and vice versa, as if somebody can only go outside and do one or the other. If people see me slow down from a run, I think that they think I’m lazy (accurate, mind you) and if people see me start to run, I think that they reckon I’ve just committed a crime and don’t want to be seen around any more. For some reason, before I start to run I find myself visibly checking my watch, as if to say “Ah yes, time to start running again. No murders or vandalism here”. This would probably be considerably less strange if I were actually wearing a watch and didn’t just regularly check my wrist instead.

The run felt fruitless, as was the end of the run since I didn’t have any fruit in the house. I guess it’s going to be a case of two steps forward, one step back (maybe this is the issue with my running style?) but the step back does feel like a bit of a shame. In week 3 there’s a bit of running for 3 minutes, and I have no idea how I’ll manage even that, let alone a 5k run – the couch is sounding more appealing now!

On my way back home I stepped in a puddle, and spent the final few minutes with cold feet. It seemed quite poetic.

Steven Not-Fit

(Long shot to keep the Sherlock theme going for the entire week).

No comments:

Post a Comment