Wednesday 8 January 2014

Week 1 Run 2 - The One That Was Unexpectedly Uphill A Bit

I approached this run with a degree of hesitation. My legs were still a little bit sore from Monday’s run (apparently I didn’t stretch enough – more on that in a minute) and I was also feeling a bit ill. Nonetheless, I got out of bed, decided I didn’t feel too awful, and went for it once again.

I’ve changed my mind about Laura a little bit, I don’t think she’s trying to murder me as well. In the words of Dobby, she isn’t trying to kill me, only maim or seriously injure. As part of today’s run (the same schedule as the first one), I inadvertently took a route that meant the second run was uphill. Not substantially uphill, you should note, just a gradual incline, but in my current state of fitness a light breeze is cause for concern. I managed to get up to seven runs out of eight without being exhausted, it was only the last one that required quite a push, but I was not best pleased with Laura and what she was saying in my ear. The most inane comment being “You need to do this run three times before moving on. So if this is your first time doing this, you need to do it two more times.”

You don’t say, Laura?

Anyway, I arrived back home pretty much exactly at the end of the podcast, which, given I got quite lost the last time I tried to come home, I decided to count as a win. All that was left to do were the stretches.

Oh dear goodness, the stretches. I remembered about three from my school days, and the muscles I missed were the ones that had been aching. I suspect that the reason they didn’t talk about stretching them at school is because in order to get into the positions required you essentially have to be Elastigirl from the Incredibles. The first one involved lying on my back, knees up to my check and then putting one ankle on top of the other knee. I don’t work like that! I did my best, all the time feeling like if somebody walked in, they would see what looked like a man made out of rubber having a slow motion fight with an invisible leopard.

Fight over, I was feeling OK – maybe running isn’t all bad for you. I’d decided to take the day at home to work, and subsequently did what all good working-from-home people do and went back to bed. Hopefully illness won’t curtail the progress I’m making – already I want to kill disembodied voices coming from my iPod a bit less, and I know what to do if I ever get lynched by an elderly Simba.


I have no idea how I’m ever going to run for longer than a minute at a time, though.

Runny Zellwegger

No comments:

Post a Comment