Friday 3 October 2014

Run 6 – The One With The Miserable Legs

Something which I am noticing as an increasing recurrent theme for this set of runs is a strong desire to not get up in the morning. I can’t understand why – I mean, why would I want to lie in warmth and comfort when I could be outside exhausted and drenched in sweat?

This morning was one of the ones where the struggle to get up was particularly felt. I was very keen for a while on sleeping for an extra hour and going for a run on Saturday, but the promise of a lie-in tomorrow was enough to get me up and going. Just about, though, and my body definitely wasn’t happy about it. I might need to buy it an extra kidney or something as a present. I think it’d like that.

Another recurring theme of at least this week is my legs going through the five stages of grief when it comes to them. Last week was denial, and I think this week is a combination of anger and depression, in the sense that they seem to be thinking “Man, this is really awful for us. We don’t seem to be able to get out of this, so let’s make it a miserable process so that we don’t have to do this again”. Interestingly, the Wikipedia page for the Kubler-Ross method gives examples of how it applies for people grieving a divorce or substance abuse, but not for those grieving the fact that they’ve recently begun exercise. I feel like an edit is in order.

I was hoping the fact that this weeks’ runs are pretty relaxed by normal standards would get me over the line, but from the moment I started walking I could feel a revolution quelling in my legs, like a lower-extremity Les Miserables. Still, if they wanted to be the stars of their own painful adventure, so be it – I’m still the master of the house as far as the activities I get up to are concerned.

And so I set out, feeling very much on my own and unsupported by the legs that were supposed to get me from A to B, potentially via C and a relaxing café if energy was running low, which it usually is. Instead, though, I seemed to be in some difficulty from the start. The walking to begin with was slightly uncomfortable, but it was when the running started that I had to look down and see if my legs hadn’t been replaced with needles or something. It wasn’t overly painful (although mind you this was only the first attack) but it just made me feel a bit like I’d never run before. This is a feeling you’ll normally find pretty much every day in my life, but this is one of the few times when I reckon that’s not warranted.

For the first run, though, the initial pain subsided after a while, and I thought that maybe I’d just been swindled, that actually my legs were perfectly fine. But then, after the 3 minute run, the walking came back and the second attack began.

It was utterly bizarre, and a theme that continued through the rest of the journey, but it seemed to be at its most uncomfortable during the walks, to the point where starting the runs again was probably the most comfortable part of the journey; by contrast, as soon as the running stopped, suddenly the night of anguish began (if it were night, and the pain was anguish rather than just mildly inconvenient, but the phrasing was necessary).

Still, I decided it was worth going on with the run now that I’d got up and started, and so despite increasing discomfort in the legular region (ask your doctor) I decided to keep going. Each step suggested that this was rapidly turning into a really bad decision, until the confrontation between my legs and the rest of me reached a head just before the final battle, the last jog before the end.

At this point the walks were relatively ponderous, but I was still moving, more or less. But I feel like the legs were trying to make a deal with me, and the bargain wasn’t heavily weighted in my favour. Essentially they said to the rest of my body “By all means, finish the run. But after that, if you expect us to bring him home, you have another think coming”.

And so it must be. I finished the run, and my legs pretty much gave up. The warm-down walk that I was supposed to do ended up being a hobble as I could barely put weight on either leg. I was probably no more than a two minute normal walk away from home, but it took the full five minute warm-down to get there – at which point, having just about forced my way up the stairs, I took about half an hour to just lie down and try and get to the point where I could stand comfortably again. I didn’t even have my usual post-run water before I lay down, because I forgot to take a drink with me to bed and once I was down I wasn’t getting up again.

Fortunately, after the lie down (where I didn’t fall asleep, sadly – I could have dreamed a dream of comfort which would have been much appreciated at that point) things felt a bit more comfortable, and I suspect that by the end of the day        I’ll have forgotten all about it. I’m quite glad I have the weekend to recover, though- I suspect one day more of this might finish me off. You know what they say – learning to run does put you in a dog eat dog world, and sometimes you feel like you’re in the sewers, asking who am I to put myself through all this. Actually, I don’t know if anybody says that, but it’s probably a good note to end the week on.

Chocolate Fantine

No comments:

Post a Comment