Monday 29 September 2014

Run 4 – The One In The Wild

Day 4, and I have been continuing my journey to infiltrate the species known as ‘Enthusiasticus Runna”, more commonly known as the morning jogger.

The joggers are known to operate at all times of day, but this particular species is known for its early rising. It often wears bright plumage at this time of year to stand out from the darkness, presumably to advertise its presence to nearby cars. Sometimes they can be found with earphones in; our working theory is that this reduces the number of operation senses, and thus reduces the chance that their body works out what they’re doing and tries to put a stop to it.

The main mode of transport of the species is a medium-pace run. On the cut-out-and-keep speed charts that come with the paper version of this blog, it lies somewhere between “Stationary” and “Light speed”, which will hopefully give you an idea of the speed of travel. Despite this very narrow band, there do appear to be various sub-classifications within this species, as they frequently vary in pace, as well as the distance travelled.

I have been attempting to blend in with these creatures. I possess my own brightly-coloured coat with which I hope to mimic their appearance, although the mornings have been too warm to use this thus far. With the oncoming darkness early on in the day, though, it may be worth wearing this soon lest I have an unfortunate incident with a carnivorous van in a dark street.

I have also invested in earphones, and a suitably-researched soundtrack. After spending a considerable amount of time deciding what the sounds of the wild are most likely to be, the designers evidently concluded that thudding basslines and electronic sounds were the ones most likely to blend into the background noise.

My audio guide Chad has been talking me through some of the rituals that they go through as they begin their activities. They seem to begin with a “Warm-up”, which is enthusiastically announced. This appears to resemble a walk, except that… no, actually, it really does seem to just be a 5 minute walk.

After this, my induction into jogging begins. At this stage I am still very low in rank and as such am unable to run for extended periods of time, no longer than a couple of minutes at a time. Some very highly trained individuals are able to run for upwards of 40 kilometres in a go, all whilst wearing the fluorescent car repellents. Although the feat is impressive, this does show that the species is somewhat uninquisitive – had these very able people investigated the cars more closely, they may have found a faster and less painful way to travel the same distance.

However, I believe the experiment is going successfully, and the group may be beginning to accept me as one of their own. This morning, in one of the fits of running between sessions of being exhausted, I saw one of the pack jogging the other way.

In such cases, there is an element of power play. When both joggers are running the same way, it becomes what is known as a “race”, whereby the person behind attempts to run fast enough to overtake the one in front, and the one in front has to stop this from happening. I am not certain, but I suspect that if an overtaking occurs, the loser has to give the winner their jacket, so you can tell who the most successful joggers are by how many coats they are wearing. I have yet to experience a jogger with more than one which makes me think that this place must be fairly far down on the foodchain.

I know of no such “race” equivalent for two joggers running towards one another. Generally this ritual seems to involve each jogger committing to a single side of the path and attempting to pass each other without falling off, rather like the ancient sport of jousting, except that lances appear to not be encouraged and horses are deemed to be cheating.

This process reaches its apex at the point of passing, whereby one jogger will utter a (usually relatively breathless) “Morning!” to the other. If there is sufficient respect between the two, the second will reciprocate. I attempted this ceremony this morning and achieved success, hearing a “Morning!” sent straight back to me. Even more impressively, this woman appeared to be much less tired than I was, meaning that I had the respect of somebody much higher up the food chain than I. Although I would have thought I might not actually be on the food chain as people probably don’t want to eat something bathed in sweat.

On the way back to the observatory, I encountered a more common “Canine Exercisium”, or dog walker. I attempted the same procedure but was not reciprocated. Presumably to gain the trust of this species I need to carry around a small hairy lick-y object of my own.

There is clearly much more research to be done here.

David Ate-a-bar-o’ Chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment